Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Welcome to the Stlsports Archive blog

Thanks for visiting the Stlsports Archive page, here on Blogger.

A little background: During the summer of 2006, I was tooling around with doing a sports-themed satire blog. I liked The Onion, The Brushback, and The Sports Pickle, all fine publications. But I believed that St. Louis deserved its own sports satire site, written by someone who knows and loves local sports.

So, on August 9, 2006, I made my first posts and continued from there. The format was once or twice a week with two-a-days early on to boost the amount of content. Almost a year later, I had about 300 posts.

The formats of the posts evolved into several classes. Some posts were completely fictional, while others had elements of truth or were based on current news. Commentaries became integrated into the posts, as well as collections of Rejected Sports Headlines. Often those rejects would turn into articles down the line.

Along the way, I picked up a Local Blog O' The Week award from the Riverfront Times. A loyal readership of friends, and some other random people whose identities remain a mystery to me, ensued.

As you will see from the label index on the left, some sports and political figures were more favored than others. The label index is a nice feature on Blogger.

Stlsports continued through another mediocre Rams season, another mediocre Blues season, and a... Cardinals World Series win! Other ancillary sports stuff happened, but that was the big thing.

The old Stlsports was housed on blog-city, which decided that it would charge people for blogging at the end of the year, with some privileges cut off prior to that. Blog-city, which is based in England somewhere, was nice while it lasted, but I don't feel like paying someone just to hold an archive of my stuff. So here I am on Blogger.

As 2007 reached its midway point, the posts became a little more strained, and less funny, to be truthful. I felt like I was rehashing some of the same gags and my caricatures of players had turned into caricatures of themselves. I got a new (read: far better) job, my kid is getting older, and things are so busy, I just did not have the time to invest into Stlsports that it deserved.

So I moved the archive here, to Blogger, where it can continue to be read and linked to. I will come up with another blog, and I have some ideas, but this one will not be added to on the archive page, other than to bring over content from blog-city.

I have to add the entries one at a time, since there is no migration feature on Blogger, not that blog-city migrates well to anyone else anyway. That just takes time, but does not result in a loss of content. The one big drawback for you, the reader (assuming you exist), is that prior comments will be lost. Sorry, but it is the price you pay to keep the Stlsports postings alive on Blogger.

Enjoy!

- Stlsports

1 comment:

English Tutor said...

happy new year, did you get all your content off before they pulled the plug on you? miss you and the fam