Wednesday, September 6, 2006

St. Louis sports-themed poetry contest results

Stlsports is pleased to announce the long-awaited results of the poetry contest. Below is a publication of the winning entries. Enjoy the best of the sports musings of St. Louis' finset poetic minds.

A haiku on the Blues' latest retread goalie situation:

Manny Legace?
What? Was Vincent Reindeau
Unavailable?

A limerick about a trip to Busch stadium from the view in the center field bleachers:

A baseball is hit down the line
In the air, oh my, it looks fine
I look up for the ball
As it approaches the wall
I'm blind from the neon Hardee's sign

A second limerick from a devoted Rams fan with some fantasy sports thoughts:

I wish I was a believer!
Even if you're an overacheiver.
On fantasy draft day,
Kevin Curtis slips away,
I just can't draft a white wide receiver.

Another great haiku, this one about a local big league player for the Phillies who is having an amazing season:

Hey, Ryan Howard,
Thanks for reminding the Cards
How badly they draft

This one is a free verse rhyme about an after-game party with a women's rugby team:

I was acting smoothe as could be,
But these chicks had no interest in me.
I talked to one particular hottie,
Who had a total knockout body.
"You're not my type," she said with a frown,
And I turned away, having been shot down.
As I walked off, she shouted, 'Hey, mister"
And asked me if I had a sister.

[These poems are reprinted with the authors' permission and are satires of public figures. Feel free to add your own to the comments.]

No comments: